MAKE AN APPOINTMENT 847-695-7387

Pet Posioning is Terrifying!

 

 

Pumpkin spice, ghouls, costumes and candy. Are a few things that October is known for. Pets can make our holidays more fun, but one must be careful of the dangers to them during Halloween season. One of the biggest threats is poisoning from candy. High amounts of sugar can cause severe gastric upset and diarrhea. Wrappers can cause obstructions in the intestines and possibly emergency surgery. Chocolate covered raisins are a double danger. Raisins and chocolate are both highly toxic to pets, and mixing them can cause double trouble. Another source for toxicity is the artificial sweetener xylitol. This is frequently found in sugar free gum. Xylitol can cause vomiting, difficulty walking, weakness, and lethargy. More severe side effects of xylitol poisoning can include collapse and seizures.

Keeping candy away from your pets is the best option – place high on shelves or away in a drawer where your pet cannot get to it is a safe way to prevent poisoning. If you believe your pet has ingested candy or other toxins, contact South Town Animal Hospital immediately. If you are unable to get to a veterinarian, or are unsure if what your pet ate is even toxic, the Pet Poison Helpline is always available. You can call (800)-213-6680 for a service fee of $59 per phone call and advice from an expert including follow – up consultations.

Other worries with the Halloween season are risks of your pet ingesting something they think is a toy. With decorations around, there are many things that your pet can play with and accidently ingest. Beware of the fake spider web material as that is not only a risk for birds and other critters outside getting caught in, but it’s something your pet may want to eat. This material can get lodged and cause a blockage in the intestines which is very dangerous. Keep decorations away from animals and if you believe your pet ingested something they shouldn’t have, call your veterinarian immediately. An obstruction can be very dangerous to your pet and action will need to be taken as soon as possible to avoid a possibly fatal situation.

We want you to enjoy the spooky season with your pet and for everyone to remain safe. Taking precautions to avoid harmful situations is the best route to have a Happy Halloween.